- Products and services
Products and services by category
- Medical gases
- Hospital equipment
- Homecare equipment
- Medical Engineering Services
- Education and training
- BOC LIFELINE®
- BOC Cryobank
- Cylinder tracking
- Products and services by medical speciality
- Products and services by care area
Cardiac Science's proprietary RHYTHMx™ Software and STAR® Biphasic Waveform provide effective technology solutions to treat sudden cardiac arrest. RHYTHMx Technology is a patented software detection algorithm to accurately and instantly detect abnormal heart rhythms, determine if they are life threatening and when appropriate, facilitate delivery of a live-saving defibrillation shock. The STAR Biphasic Waveform Technology was developed with each individual's needs in mind, providing customised defibrillation energy for the patient based on the patient's impedance. The patented RescueReady® technology ensures your AED can be counted on when you need it most - during a rescue.
Ensuring reliable AED operation
One of the most important features of a Cardiac Science AED is its high degree of reliability. Performing the most comprehensive self-testing in the industry ensures Cardiac Science AEDs are "RescueReady" when you need it. When the green RescueReady indicator is lit, Cardiac Science AEDs can be counted on to perform during a rescue.
- Proprietary RescueReady Technology tests battery, system components, and verifies that the pre-connected disposable electrodes can properly deliver a shock.
- Daily, weekly, monthly testing of battery, electronics, and pre-connected electrodes occurs automatically.
- Once a month, the AED performs an automatic full charge test of the high voltage circuitry, to confirm the AED's ability to deliver a shock when needed.
- RescueReady status indicator on the AED handle changes from green/red and emits an audible alert if service is required. (Powerheart AED G3 only)
- Pre-connected electrodes are always stored inside the device, eliminating confusion and possible errors during a rescue.
- Patented RescueReady technology confirms the electrodes are in the AED and ready for use.
* information provided by Cardiac Science
Offers the most advanced, smartest software analysis algorithm in the industry. The RHYTHMx technology is the intelligence behind the Cardiac Science's Powerheart hospital and public access defibrillation products, and is designed to continuously monitor, detect, and advise defibrillation therapy to treat cardiac arrhythmias.
- Specificity and Sensitivity - clinical results with the RHYTHMx technology demonstrated 100% sensitivity (correct identification of shockable rhythms) and 99.4% specificity (correct identification of non-shockable rhythms).
- RHYTHMx technology differentiates between shockable life-threatening cardiac rhythms such as ventricular arrhythmias (VT/VF) and supraventricular tachyarrhythmias (SVT), plus distinguishes non-shockable cardiac arrhythmia events.
- Non-committed device - If the RHYTHMx technology detects a shockable rhythm and charges, but recognises a rhythm change, the Cardiac Science device automatically disarms, informs the user that that the rhythm has changed, and reanalyses the patient's heart rhythm.
- Post-resuscitation monitoring - RHYTHMx technology continues to monitor the patient's heart rhythm post resuscitation, to instantly detect the reoccurrence of a life-threatening arrhythmia. If cardiac arrest recurs, the Cardiac Science device will charge automatically and advise the operator to deliver a defibrillation shock.
- Synchronised shock - RHYTHMx technology automatically synchronises shock delivery whenever possible to the patient's electrocardiogram R-wave. If unable to synchronize it will deliver an unsynchronised shock. Synchronisation of a defibrillation shock has been shown to be more effective in converting patients out of life threatening arrhythmias.
- RHYTHMx Technology that allows a medical director or physician to pre-program detection rates for shockable cardiac arrhythmias such as VF, VT and SVT.
Analysis algorithm white paper
Information provided by Cardiac Science
STAR Biphasic Technology
There are a number of ways an AED can deliver a defibrillation shock. Some AEDs provide the same level of energy each time a shock is delivered. Other AEDs deliver higher levels of energy with each shock, but still administer the same energy level for every patient. The Cardiac Science methodology is that no two patients are alike. That's why Cardiac Science has introduced the proprietary STAR Biphasic technology, providing escalating biphasic energy and customised, variable energy.
- STAR Biphasic technology measures a patient's impedance (the body's opposition to the flow of electrical current), adjusts defibrillation parameters, and delivers an energy level customised to the needs of that patient.
- STAR Biphasic escalates energy over a range of impedances. This proven method of escalating energy is consistent with American Heart Association guidelines and is well established in the defibrillation industry.
- STAR Biphasic Waveform has the highest reported effectiveness in hospital and pre-hospital data.
- In clinical trials, STAR Biphasic was 100% effective at defibrillating patients in ventricular fibrillation-the most common arrythmia of sudden cardiac arrest on the first shock.
- Pre-hospital data for STAR Biphasic has shown defibrillation success rates of 89 percent with an average number of 2.3 shocks per patient.
- If using MDLink Software with the Powerheart AED G3, a medical director can customise parameters to follow a desired defibrillation rescue protocol. Adjustable parameters include 5 defibrillation energy protocols such as ultra low, standard and non-escalating variable energy options.
For more information on the STAR Biphasic Technology click here.